Thursday, May 28, 2009

Captive Siamang's and Matching


I recently conducted another observational study; of Siamang's at Adelaide Zoo. Again this study was aimed at observing any imitative behaviour between mother and infant. I was priviledged to spend 3 days with these acrobats of the jungle! Despite losing one day of data due to an Orangutan escape, I was intrigued to find matching in Siamang's for a tiny infant only 3 months of age! These creatures continue to surprise me. It was much more difficult to keep up with them, given my ancient video camera! It was most interesting that I found the infant opening and closing its mouth spontaneously when the mother chewed on food. This was a rare sight and only occured on 1 or 2 occasions. I would need to do a longer study to verify these findings. I hope to be replicating these studies again end of July, beginning of August! Keep posted.

No comments: